Sunday, March 13, 2011

When bloggers do good*


When Kate emailed us with the idea for Run4CHCH, I think I can speak for all of us when I say, we never thought it would take off the way it did, ever. We hoped we would get 100 people and raise $1000, never thinking we would hit the $ target less than 2 days after we let people know about it.

It's Sunday afternoon here in NZ, and on our fundraising site alone we've raised $8690.64 so far! And yes, we've moved our fundraising target :-)

This morning I headed off to meet up with Pip, Kate and Phil for our run in Wellington. It was a stunning morning, just a slight breeze, if that.

I met up with Pip then Kate and Phil - I'd never met either Kate or Phil before - and they were just lovely, seriously nice people - Pip is awesome too! I tend to get a bit tongue tied when meeting new people, so next time I probably be a lot more talkative :-) Although Phil and I did have a great chat whilst running, clearly me being the slower one it was cool of him to run with me and I was really happy that I was able to talk and run at the same time, once I worked out my breathing! From then on I could even answer in more than three words, and talk even more. We ran along along Oriental Bay and around the bays to the 2.5km turn around and then back. It was really nice and warm, and there were loads of people out running and cycling. Phil and Kate took some photos during the run - which I shall nab once they are up ;-)

I really enjoyed the run, because I normally run alone to train and with others during races, but I've never run and chatted with someone before for an extended amount of time, normally because they are faster than me! I really enjoyed it, and I am going to join a running group when I move to Toronto for sure. I don't know that many runners in Wellington, although it might be worth joining a group for winter training.

We then headed to the tugboat for a well earned chat and some food, which was awesome. None of my other mates run, or anything like that, so it was great to be able to chat about running, and cycling and that kind of stuff with people who have the same interests - usually any running chat is held during my pt session with my trainer so being able to talk with others was great!


I am personally really appreciative to all the bloggers I emailed that spread the word about Run4CHCH - And of course everyone else that supported us in the last few weeks. The response is something I don't think we ever expected, and it really has gone global

Thank you awesome people, thank you, thank you, thank you.

*super special thanks to Kate, Phil, Pip and Mike for being the best people they can be :-)

No comments: