Sunday, February 20, 2011

Half Marathon Race Report #3

My prep yesterday was pretty standard, a little more carbs than during the week, and I also had an additional electrolyte drink - this I don't normally do the day before except for the marathon, but I had a feeling it would be quite hot today, so I drank up.

I slept pretty well, and got up early, had my oats, water more electrolyte and walked down to the race - about 15 mins from where I live. I was a little nervous, but not too bad. I went to the bathroom, then it was time to head to the start line.

I need to learn to start more toward the back of the pack, it wasn't too crowded so people didn't have to do much to get pass me. And I don't mind being passed, but it will help me with not going out too fast.

Heading around the bays, I knew it was going to be a scorcher, and it was only 8.30am! I had a really good first half, quite fast I think my split was around 1:22, then the shade went and the sun came out even more, for a long time, long long time. I slowed down a bit, then a lot, then picked up around the turnaround. And started getting water at each drink station to throw down my back. I was HOT. But I didn't cramp. I surged along the last km, and lost a minute or so waiting for a light to change so I could cross the street. And then powered home.

One of the volunteers came up and gave me a banana, another a sports drink and they helped me get my timing tag off my shoelace, and did my shoe back up - godsend!

For the life of me I couldn't find the massage tent, and there were still loads of people about. So I wandered across to wait for the free bus back into town, I was almost at the front of the line when the nausea hit, and I had to get out and head to the portable toilet to be sick, then I went and sat down on some steps in the shade, and decided just to hang out there, and get back in the line when the last bus arrived. I had to go back and be sick again, twice. It was just the heat, the same thing happened at my second half marathon, though much worse. Maybe I need a drink with more salt?

When I got back home I made some chicken noodle soup, and some vegies with salt. I tend to just eat what my body craves post race. It's generally salt, followed by protein, then more protein. I did have this odd craving for fish a chips, and I really don't like fried food, except for curly fries - and I reckon I had three portions of those last year, and that was split with someone. But I couldn't be bothered going down the stairs and to the shop to get them, so I just reheated some ww enchiladas I made a couple of days back.

I think my time was 3:16 or so, results come out tomorrow, it's my slowest time, and I really don't care, I finished, it was hot, and I'd put on weight, and even without all that I still ran the same course as everyone else - so as per usual I'm rather happy with myself.

I have a rest week this week and then the training ramps up again for my second marathon at the end of April!

Good things about the race
Road closure - Yes they close the road, but this is also my normal running route so it felt odd and kind of naughty.

Children handing out water - no matter how crap i'm feeling i'll always say thank you, smile big, and find the youngest kid to grab the water off, that smile is something you can't beat!

The guys with the hose, and water pistol people - Did I mention it was hot?

Not so cool
The lack of info on the website - Maybe I didn't look that well - but I couldn't find anything about a bag drop listed on the site, or hydration except for water.

Hydration station info - I emailed, I tweeted, I even called to find out about the sports drinks on the course, nothing. This morning they announce the drink and then it turns out to be blue, then clear, then orange - I'm lucky my gut survived. And yes I took my fuel belt but it emptied quick in the heat. That saying all that is cool, as long as people can find out beforehand.

I'm quite tired now, and rather ready for bed.

I'd also like to thank each and everyone of you for putting up with post break up Lucinda these last few months. I ran parts of today with you guys in mind, along with myself. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.



K said...

You're an absolute legend!! So proud of you. So interesting hearing about what you crave afterwards etc.

I have my 3rd half coming up in April. I can't wait to see how it goes and how it compares to the other two. That was my motivation for getting out for a walk tonight but then you were part of the motivation for starting to run. I'm so excited, I can't wait to go back out and do it again now.

Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight and a good recovery. What's next on the list? :D

Cinders said...

I think you are amazing, I need to take a leaf out of your book x

skinny latte said...

Great work as always! Hope you recovered well today xxx

Shauna said...

always a total inspiration :) congratulations to youuuuu!